Now i had my pattern ready with correct seam allowance I began to cut the sample fabric which is a black cotton lycra.
I also tested some ideas by adding foam to the top bust area.
This looked good and was a really neat finish but I felt that it didn’t tie in with the rest of the design as well as it should have. It also limited the stretch under the bust.
I liked this look a lot better because it perfectly tied in with the other curves and lines in my design. Sewing parallel lines 5mm apart on a curve of this angle was really difficult but when done looked good.
The rest of the garment was pretty easy (and quick) to sew. I bagged-out the top at the neckline to create a smooth look and the rest of the edges were elasticized and twin needled.
After a bit of a play on these machines I had no problems sewing this sample.
For sample review my swimsuit was ready and I wanted to try the basic suit on the model before I added the frill.
I was pretty happy with the fit on the model and only a few things needed to be changed…
– the crotch line needed to be shortened by 2cm because it was too long and this will prevent ride-up.
– the thickness of the foam on the bust flattened the chest. A solution to this to give the bust more roundness is to add panel lines that curve over the bust point.
Unfortunately black eats light and you can’t see the detail in the photos…
After trying the basic swimsuit on the model I quickly added the frill which worked really well and finished it off nicely.
Overall I was pretty happy with the fit on the model and looking forward to attempting it in the wool!!!