i feel like death has come upon me.
it is 6:58AM and i have been in studios from about 9AM yesterday morning – the brutality!!
SO WHERE DO I BEGIN???
my swimsuit is finished and i am feeling a little delirious right about now – but the end result, all i can say is i am happy!
the fit is good, and the shape is a tiny bit too bulky for my liking, but all in all it turned out pretty successful.
so to follow on from my last blog – i have spent all yesterday morning and the night before (weird because ive been up 24hrs it still feels like the same day!!!) unpicking all the binding off my garment – then i overlocked with the 3 thread stitch again to clean up the rough unpicked fraying edges…
then the result of my new fixed base garment was perfecttttt!!
AND NOTE THE NOW PERFECT SIDES!!!! – so glad i took the time to unpick and redo all the binding because it was worth all the time!!
The fit is perfect – the binding is perfect, all in all, if you havent gathered already – i am extremely pleased (and suprised) at what i had accomplished…
SOO, i always say with sewing, there will always be at least 2 things you dont account for in your time constraints.
Mine was – the obvious one, the mistakes, the unpicking, the redoing.
The second one i didnt account the time for was ALL.THE.HAND>STITCHING!!!!
My fingertips are purple – no joke and my thumb feels bruised. Reflecting back, a good 7 hours was spent hand sewing – i now understand why couture is so pricey/priceless.
I planned to machine stitch the floatie casing openings closed – after the floaties had been inserted, but when i tried it out on the machine, the floatie was too inflated to fit anywhere near the machine that any way you tried – it just didnt work.
As a failed result – i had to neatly hand sew ALL my floatie openings closed.
Not one, or two – but many…
Then after having hand sewn all that, again something i thought i could machine stitch and didnt even consider hand sewing, was joining all the floaties together.
Which, after many failed attempts on the machine – i ended up handsewing…
So by this time, my fingers were ok, a little ache but nothing too life threatening.
The tricky part was, the handstitching was a litte bit more time consuming, than probably normal handstitchin because you had to be extra extra careful that you didnt stab the needle through the floatie!!!
Especially working so closely to the skin of the floatie – i had to be very very cautious to keep a keen eye on the needle point.
So after handsewing all the finishes – i was then stumped to realise that i had to hand catch the floaties onto the actual swimsuit – MURDERRRRRRR!!!
This took a good portion of the time, alot of jumbling the floaties around to try and achieve symmetry, make sure the ribs edges sat symmetrically to its opposite side etc. Very fumbly, therefore help and time needed to place them in position properly before the hand tacking could even begin.
Another problem i came across that i forgot to mention earlier was that after putting the spray painted floaties into their wool pockets – the wool, unlike the cotton lycra, actually turns considerably sheer when stretched. Therefore, with the gloss spray paint, the sheen of the paint could be easily visible from the outside, and didnt look too nice or professional – so to solve this, i just did a lining pocket – so two layers of fabric to case the floaties – which worked a treat!
Something i also learnt through this process – spray paint is not too good.
After having sewn all the pieces, positioned them, handtacked them etc – i slashed the fabric at the blowholes to reveal them, and the black spray paint was already rubbing off (maybe spraypaint doesnt dry properly on rubber???) on my hands/fingers – so in the end the swimsuit had black blowholes – but its very visible that the black has rubbed off in some parts… – that was one thing that was too late to fix – maybe before the parade, i could go over them with something – not too sure yet…
so this is my final garment..
a little bit bulky/voluminous – more of a concept garment rather than a design focused garment – its not pretty to look at, or beautiful – but it follows its function and its concept.
I have successful made an inflatable swimsuit.
With air compartments and everything – the satisfaction hasnt hit in yet, but im sure it will come after some sleep/.
I will end this post with a picture of my purple fingers – at the state after handsewing for squillion hours (im not complaining or whining – could say i am the absolute master of handsewing now.)
FASHION IS MURDER!!!!
its hurts to type so i am going to go get some much needed sleep – will get excited about the finished suit when i wake up!!!
good luck to all!