SAMPLING HITS BACK LIKE BRITNEY CONT!

So yesterday was our last studio session before sample review…

This is what my first sample currently looks like… (just the inflatables)/

SAMPLE ONE.

SAMPLE ONE.

SO as i mentioned in my previous blog, the cutting of the black cotton lycra fabric was all done so the next process was to get sewing, and pieces the garment together and test the size/fit/cut.

The first thing i noticed was the black cotton lycra has alot less stretch than the blue, which only meant that i had to work extra hard to fit all the inflables into their little pockets.

FLOATIES HOME.

FLOATIES HOME.

One of the problems i saw in the first sampling stage with the blue fabric was the floaties had really sharp pointed corners, which when incased in the fabric and joined together, somehow looked a little awkward – didnt look like a whole shape instead it was really obvious that there were 2 existing shapes together – not good.

So i went through the whole process of softening and rounding the corners, so the peaks werent as obvious, and therefore when put together with its partner, was a little more subtle.

BEFORE.

BEFORE.

AFTER.

AFTER.

RESULT.

RESULT.

This was a bit better, all the edges were softened and when encased in the fabric, you really couldnt tell that it was two pieces which made a whole shape.

Then, after encasing all the floaties in fabric, i went onto work on the body of the garment – the base. I HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE WITH THIS, because i was hopping from one mannequin to the swimsuit mannequin – the fit was all wrong!!

I made adjustments, fit the mannequin, and the base garment ended up looking like this…

FRONT.

FRONT.

BACK.

BACK.

I then connected the top half of the garment to the bottoms, and fit was near perfect however… WHO KNOWS WHAT IT WILL LOOK LIKE ON THE MODEL.

One bad thing – the model MAY NOT be the same size or dimensions as the mannequins we’re using, which from previous experiences can get a little tricky (more readjusting etc etc…)

I encountered a few issues while i was sampling in the black – a few problems that need solving. One slip up i always have is time management – you always have more to do than you accounted for…

So problem 1 : hand stitching. hand sewing the inflatable structure to the body of the garment.

– I havent tried yet, but instead of hand sewing, i think if i empty out the inflatables, i may be able to sew the chest structure onto the garment via machine. it’ll be ALOT quicker and im thinking if i unstitch the top shoulders and sew the top of the chest piece in with the shoulder then it could work? then open up the pockets and stitch a row on the inside so the chest ribs stay in place? (dont wiggle around and look flimsy… more secure construction?)

Im thinking, for the waist floaties, definately need to be handstitched while on the mannequin.

As for the blow holes – in the final garment, after the floatie has been fitted into the pockets, i will mark where the blow holes sit and slash a buttonhole so the blowhole is surfaced… no point doing anything about it now, because the fabric stretches, you cant mark the blowholes on the pattern peice because it just wouldnt be accurate…

SAMPLE AS IS.

SAMPLE AS IS.

So whats next? well its about taking apart the top of the base garment, and attaching the inflatable structure to it by machine, then hand stitching the waist inflatables… hopefully wont see any major dramas – then my sample will be finished for review – FINGERS CROSSED IT FITS THE MODEL!!

END OF DAY.

END OF DAY.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s